Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Olympics & Our National Anthem

As I've already admitted, I am an Olympics junky! Love watching just about every single sport, and think that I even understand Curling a little better after this year!

Like many other Americans, I really LOVE it when a U.S. Olympian wins GOLD & love to hear our National Anthem. I will sometimes even stand, place my hand over my heart, sing & be extremely proud of this Olympian, their hard work, & sometimes find myself crying with the Olympian for their accomplishments! Am I the only one that does this???

What interests me, though, is the different responses to the playing of the National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner! Some athletes stand with their hand over their heart. Some will sing the words along with the music. Some just stand there & soak it all in. So, my question is, if you were a gold medal winning Olympian, what would you do when they play The Star Spangled Banner?

By the way, I'm realizing that my children do not know the words to Our National Anthem. So, if this is the case for anyone else, I thought that I'd share them with you!


Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

And congratulations to Canada & their amazing 14 Gold medals. Thanks to them I now know most of the words to their anthem too. Before, all I knew was "Oh! Canada!"

No comments: