Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cowboy Camp, day 2

Colin went to the last half of Cowboy Camp today. He was so excited about going and knew that he would get to "ride" the pony. He told me last night, "It's a little pony" and imagine him holding up his two tiny fingers to make an inch size! He's so cute!!!
The picture below was taken by the WinKids staff & printed on regular paper. I scanned it in, so the quality isn't great. But at least we can see how "little" the pony really is!
Colin did better today being dropped off. After I put his nametag on, he started to get teary-eyed but managed to walk in on his own. Then, while I'm waiting to sign him in, he sneaks back out for "last hugs." I was about to cry for him because he looked so sad. While he wasn't screaming this time and walked back in on his own, I felt worse today then I did on Tuesday. I watched from a distance as he stood by the foam pit and was crying silent tears and not moving. One of the staff members walked over to him, picked him up, talked to him, and tried to comfort him. He was still crying when anyone tried to talk to him, but managed to stop crying if they left him alone. We asked him if he had fun, and we get an emphatic "YEAH!" However, he asked me if he had to go back to Cowboy Camp. When I tell him that Cowboy Camp is over, he is VERY EXCITED!!!

WOW! I didn't want to torture my child or make him feel abandoned! I felt terrible for him! One of my friends pointed out that I should feel great that Colin loves us so much and doesn't want to be separated from us. However, I just wanted to give him a chance to have some fun on his own and something special that he doesn't normally get to do! Maybe next year will be different when he's a little older....hopefully! Until then, we'll just accept that Colin likes familiar places & faces and loves to be with his family!

WE LOVE YOU TOO COLIN!

No comments: